There are many steps you can take to increase heart health and maintain a healthy heart!
Here are 8 tips for maintaining a healthy heart from Dr. Jain:
- Be aware of your family genetic history. Find out what you are at a higher risk of developing and take the necessary steps in an attempt to lower your risk as much as possible.
- Maintain a healthy weight by eating healthy. This includes limiting your salt intake to less than 1,500 milligrams per day, which will then lower your blood pressure.
- Exercise regularly. This will lower your risk of heart disease and benefit your mental health.
- Quit smoking, this will benefit more than just your heart.
- If you have an existing heart condition, stick to the treatment regimen developed by you and your doctor.
- Laugh more. Those who laugh more generally have lower levels of mental stress. Lowering your mental stress lowers your risk of developing stress induced cardiac malaties.
- Attend your check up and follow up appointments. It’s important to let a doctor monitor your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Avoid stress. This may seem nearly impossible but lowering your stress levels helps manage your mental health, which leads to lower blood pressure and positive impacts to your heart health.